fac·toid ['fak-"toid], n, An invented fact believed to be true because of its
appearance in print
- Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquitoes' sensors so they don't know you're there.
- Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
- The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.
- No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
- Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
- Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.
- The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.
- The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.
- A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brothers' first flight.
- American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
- The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
- Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.
- The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer.
- Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
- Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
- Marilyn Monroe had six toes.
- All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like being seen wearing them in public.
- Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
- The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly. Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.
- Pearls melt in vinegar.
- Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
- The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.
- It is possible to lead a cow upstairs... but not downstairs.
- A duck's quack doesn't echo and no one knows why.
- The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.
- Richard Milhouse Nixon was the first US president whose name contains all the letters from the word "criminal." The second? William Jefferson Clinton.
- And finally... Turtles can breathe through their bums
Disclaimer: I don't know if anything above might be construed as defamatory or not, but know
this: I didn't write this stuff; it was sent to my by e-mail and I make no claim as to the truth of
any of these "factoids" (a word, which, in itself should cause you to question). In fact, let's
just say right out, probably all of the positive stuff (like the pitch for apples) is true and
probably all of the potentially negative stuff (like the claim about the famous, dead movie
star's toes or the rodentaphobia of a famous animator) is false -- just made up for
satirical fun. (I personally have serious doubts about the science in that duck quack thing, for
[ Jeff's Personal Page | Jeff's Professional Bio ]
[ Back to Jeff's www.musicman.net Central Home Page ]